1. Space Heater Safety:
· Keep all combustibles at least 36 inches from heating sources.
· Ensure that your unit has tip over protection.
· Always plug Electric heaters directly into a wall outlet. Avoid the use of extension cords.
· Do not place heaters where it is possible for small children to fall against them & receive a contact burn.
· Always turn off space heaters before leaving the room or going to bed.
· Make sure heater is placed on a level and dry surface.
2. Extension Cords:
· Ensure all electrical cords and plugs are in good working condition.
· Be careful not to overload any electrical outlets, extension cords or power strips.
· Always check the cord rating to ensure the right size cord is being used.
· Do not cover power cords with area or throw rugs.
3. General Fire Safety:
· Smoke Alarms - Test your alarms monthly & never remove batteries for other uses.
· Evacuation Plans - Know how to operate all the latches of doors & windows.
· Candle Safety - Never leave burning candles unattended or near anything that can catch fire.
· Matches & other fire starting appliances should be kept out of the reach of small children.
· Practice evacuation of home with family members-E.D.I.T.H (Exit Drills in the Home).
For more Fire Safety Information visit the Suffolk County Fire Marshal's Office
Portable Heater Fire Safety
Transcript Portable Heater Fire Safety