The goal of the Access to Care Committee is to increase access to cancer care and expand cancer services across a continuum of care (screening, diagnosis, treatment, acute care and chronic care) in Suffolk County by working in a cooperative and collaborative manner with healthcare providers, hospitals, physician practices, relevant government agencies, community based organizations and stakeholders representing the community at large.
Every person in Suffolk County should have access to comprehensive cancer care services. The Access to Care Committee seeks to make a difference in the lives of the residents of Suffolk County through education promotion, open discussion, sincere commitment, and constant exploration of traditional and novel approaches to addressing identified challenges.
Focus Areas of Concern
- The Public is not aware of cancer services provided in their community
- Patients diagnosed with cancer have difficulty navigating the health care system
- Uninsured and underinsured Suffolk County residents do not have equal excess to cancer care services
Promote access to healthcare via Public Health Insurance Programs by referring the uninsured to facilitated enrollers
- Support local and national legislative advocacy opportunities
- Support an expedited process for newly diagnosed cancer patients to obtain "cancer insurance" for immediate treatment and care