Warning about Powdered Pure Caffeine
(Adapted from FDA Warning)
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned consumers to avoid powdered pure caffeine products being sold in bulk bags directly to consumers over the Internet.
The FDA reports that it is aware of at least one death of a teenager who used these products.
Facts about Powdered Pure Caffeine Products
· These products are essentially 100 percent caffeine.
· A single teaspoon of pure caffeine is roughly equivalent to the amount in 25 cups of coffee.
· Pure caffeine is a powerful stimulant and very small amounts may cause accidental overdose.
Symptoms of caffeine overdose can include rapid or dangerously erratic heartbeat, seizures and death. Vomiting, diarrhea, stupor and disorientation are also symptoms of caffeine toxicity. These symptoms are likely to be much more severe than those resulting from drinking too much coffee, tea or other caffeinated beverages.
Who Should Know
· All consumers seeking caffeinated products should be aware of the potentially high potency of these powdered pure caffeine products.
· Parents should recognize that teenagers and young adults may be drawn to these products for their perceived benefits.
What to Do
Avoid powdered pure caffeine. It is nearly impossible to accurately measure powdered pure caffeine with common kitchen measuring tools and you can easily consume a lethal amount.
If you believe that you are having an adverse event related to caffeine, stop using it and seek immediate medical care or advice.
The FDA wants to know about adverse events associated with powdered pure caffeine and other highly caffeinated products. You or your health care provider can help by reporting these adverse events to FDA in the following ways:
· By phone at 240-402-2405
· By email at CAERS@cfsan.fda.gov
· By regular mail at 10903 New Hampshire Ave. Silver Spring, MD 20993
Why this advice is important
Pure caffeine products are potentially dangerous, and serious adverse events can result, including death. People with pre-existing heart conditions should not use them.
08-05-2014 Warning About Powdered Pure Caffeine.pdf