Deaths should be reported promptly to avoid
delays in official investigations.
To report a death
Call the medical examiners office (631) 853-5555, 7 days a week, 7:00 AM –
Call SCPD at (631) 852-6410 from 11:00 PM to 7:00AM, 7 days a week
The following information will be requested
of the person reporting the death:
- Name of deceased, date of birth, age, sex,
race or ethnicity, and marital status.
- Home address
- Social security number
- Place removed from (if hospital reporting) or
current location of dead body
- Place of death
- Date and time of arrival in hospital
- Pronounced dead by
- Date and Time
- Name and telephone number of attending
- Reason for reporting death (history and
- Reminder: Has the New York Organ Donor
Network been contacted?
- Has admission, particularly pre-transfusion,
blood samples been placed on hold in your laboratory?