Historic Services

The Suffolk County Department of Parks, Division of Historic Services manages over 200 historic structures containing an array of buildings, gardens and sites of cultural and historical significance.

With the help from local historical societies, the Department provides guided tours and special events at several of these historic sites. These events provide opportunities for enjoyment, education, and interpretation of local history.

Historic Structures RFEI

HISTORIC DISTRICTS:

  • Yaphank Historic District - c. 1850
    Tour and Event Information: (631) 924-3401
    The District is located at the corner of Main Street and Yaphank Avenue, County Route 21, north of the Long Island Expressway.
    This District includes:
  • Blydenburgh Farm and New Mill Historic District - c. 1880
    New Mill Road, Smithtown

DUDE RANCH:

HORSE SHOW GROUNDS: 

  • Old Field Farm -c. 1931
    West Meadow Road, Setauket
    Tours and Event Information: (631) 472-4625
    Directions: Long Island Expressway (Rt. 495) to Exit 62 North (Nicolls Rd.) Continue north on Nicolls to Route 25A. Turn left onto Route 25A. Turn right at first light on Quaker Path. Bear left at fork onto Mount Grey Road. Turn lefto onto West Meadow Road (aka Trustees Rd.).

    Located at the headwaters of West Meadow Creek, just north of Stony Brook Harbor, this equestrian complex was built by philanthropist Ward Melville and was originally known as the North Shore Horse Show Grounds. This historically significant site features simple colonial revival-style white stables, an old-fashioned grandstand, and competition rings. Call Old Field Farm, Ltd. at (631) 246-8983 for special events at this site.

 

HUNTING LODGES & PRESERVES:

  • Flanders Gun Club Lodge & Cabins - c. 1890
    Smithers County Park, Route 24, Flanders
    Once utilized as a hunting club, this 430-acre property was gifted to the County by the late R. Brinkly Smithers in 1971. Ducks Unlimited uses the site for educational exhibits and programs. Call Ducks Unlimited at (631) 751-5850 for special events at this site.
  • Black Duck Lodge - c. 1820 - 1920
    Hubbard County Park, Red Creek Rd., Flanders
    *Self-guided tours of grounds
  • Suffolk Lodge - c. 1931
    Southaven County Park, Victory Drive, Brookhaven
    Headquarters of the Suffolk County Park Police and the Pine Barrens Law Enforcement Council
    *Self-guided tours of grounds

ESTATES:

LIGHTHOUSE:

OTHER: