ENDANGERED SPECIAL PROGRAM VACANCIES - Apply NOW
The Parks Department is currently accepting applications for seasonal openings in its Endangered Species Protection Program for the 2017 season. The positions involve helping to manage nesting shorebirds (piping plovers and least terns) at seventeen sites throughout Suffolk County. While this job is anything but a "day at the beach," the candidates will gain an intimate knowledge of bird behavior and of the unique management issues their presence creates.
Quality Candidates must
- Have an interest and/or coursework in ornithology, ecology and natural resources
- Be able to meet the physical demands of the job such as walking miles on the beach, carrying heavy fencing materials, digging trenches and installing fencing and barricades in summer weather conditions
- Be meticulous and concise in recording date
- Have an ability to interact professionally with the general public and co-workers
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively with others and independently under stressful conditions
- Work weekends & holidays, and flexible hours (average 35 hours/week
- Have a valid driver's license (often required to drive 2-3 hours a day to visit sites) (Use of your personal vehicle may be required in limited circumstances).
Hourly wage is $10.75. Crew Leader positions are available for those with experience at $11.50/hour. Basic housing may be available, indicate your interest.
There is no application, send resumes to: Diana Sanford
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 14, 2017
PARK SECURITY AIDES NEEDED - Apply NOW
The Parks Department is seeking to hire Park Security Aides for the summer season which runs from 2 weeks before Memorial Day through Columbus Day weekend.
Park Security Aides will assist Park Rangers in guarding and patrolling park areas to maintain order and preserve County property.
Must have NYS Security Guard license to qualify. Security Guard Licensing Class will be provided. Salary is $11/hour. Varied shifts and locations.
Call Dodd Amrhein, Security Director, for more information – 631-854-1438