The Suffolk County Parks Board of Trustees consists of thirteen (13) members, one (1) member to be appointed by the County Legislature from each of the ten (10) towns of Suffolk County upon recommendation of the Supervisor of each town and one (1) member to be appointed at large by the County Executive subject to the approval of the County Legislature. There is also one (1) ex-officio member from the County Executive's Office, and one (1) ex-officio member from the Presiding Officer's Office.
The Board shall have the following powers and duties:
- To make recommendations upon basic policy with respect to the parks, recreation and conservation programs of the county.
- To recommend long-range plans for park and open space acquisition and facilities development in conjunction with the Commissioner.
- To approve a capital projects plan which shall be submitted to it by the Commissioner annually and which, if so approved, shall be submitted to the budget officer.
- To approve all matters having to do with the regulation, use, fees and charges with respect to parks and recreation facilities, which matters shall be referred to the Board by the Commissioner and shall become effective only upon its approval. Fees and charges shall be approved by the County Legislature before they become effective.
- To make recommendations upon any proposed sale of parkland.
as stated in the County Charter
Trustee Meeting Schedule
Board of Trustee Meeting Minutes
Suffolk County Parks Board of Trustees:
Richard F. White, Jr., East Hampton
Gil Cardillo, Riverhead
Terence McSweeney, Babylon
Kathleen Gooding, Vice Chair,
Dawn Hopkins, Chair, Brookhaven
Michael Rosato, Smithtown
Alexander G. McKay, Huntington
William B. Sickles, Southampton
Peter Leis, Islip
Arthur W. Leudesdorf, Southold
Terrence Pearsall, representing Presiding Officer Duwayne Gregory
Debra Kolyer, representing County Executive
Member at Large, Vacant