For veterans in Suffolk County, finding a home should not be an impossible mission. Suffolk County Veterans Service Agency can talk to you about your options for buying, renting or finding emergency housing, and using your military benefits to assist you in the most appropriate way for your and your family’s needs. Additionally, we can help you obtain VA benefits and assistance available at the federal level.
US Department of Veteran Affairs - Overview of the VA Home Loan Program
- VA helps Service members, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners.
- VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms.
US Department of Veteran Affairs - Homeless Veterans
- Explore the VA Homeless web page to learn about VA's programs for Veterans and to find out what you, your neighbors, and your community can do to help Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans (877) 424-3838
NY State Homes for Veterans Program
- SONYMA, in conjunction with the New York State Department of Veterans' Affairs, is pleased to offer the Homes for Veterans Program that will enable more U.S. military veterans and active duty U.S. military personnel to buy their first home. The program offers low interest rates & lower closing costs than the traditional VA Home Loan.
United Veterans Beacon House
- Provides temporary & permanent residence for Veterans. Contact their office: (631) 665-1571
- Vetsbuild supported by Bank of America: Free resource now available to post 9/11 Veterans - get trained to work in the emerging Green jobs industry at United Way of Long Island's state of the art facility
Association for Mental Health and Wellness
- The mission of our Veteran Housing Program is “To help regain entry into society and attain residential stability, self-sufficiency, and economic independence.” It is achieved by providing nine units of permanent housing for Veterans with supportive services from veteran peers. We also establish linkages with community providers to obtain information, resources, and services which will empower formerly homeless Veterans and facilitate their successful reintegration into society.
- Contact: (631) 471-7242 Ext. 1502