Tours and Event Information: (631) 472-4625
Directions: Long Island Expressway (Route 495) to Exit 62 South (Nicolls Road.) At end, turn right onto Montauk Highway (Route 27A). Go about one mile and at Amoco Gas Station, turn left onto McConnell Ave. Go to end, make right onto Middle Road. Entrance is on the right.
This estate occupies a large tract of land dividing the east and west branches of Brown's Creek which flows into the Great South Bay. The main house, facing due south toward the bay, is divided into two sections: an original mid-nineteenth century farmhouse which was used for servants' quarters in the Gold Coast era, and a larger, more formal Colonial Revival main block designed by the local architect Isaac H. Green in 1891-1892. The estate outbuildings include a garage, stable/barn, coach house, caretaker's cottage, and poured concrete swimming pool of early twentieth century vintage. Among the estate's more notable residents was John E. Roosevelt (cousin of Theodore Roosevelt). The estate is now dedicated to the Suffolk County Historic Trust and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Washington D.C.
The Bayport Heritage Association gives tours of the main house on Saturdays and Sundays at 2:00PM from spring to fall. Please call (631) 472-4625 for more information.