Metal detectors are authorized for use with valid Permit on the seaward side of the primary dunes and vegetated areas of the following county parks only:
Montauk County Park - Montauk
Cedar Point County Park - East Hampton
Meschutt Beach County Park - Hampton Bays
Shinnecock East County Park - Southampton
Charles F. Altenkirch County Park - Southampton
Cupsogue Beach County Park - Westhampton
Smith Point County Park - Shirley
- No disturbance of any upland areas, historic sites or environmental sensitive areas or bird nesting sites allowed.
- No flora is to be disrupted or damaged in any way.
- All areas that are disturbed as a result of metal detector use should be fully restored so as not to cause a hazard.
- Some areas of the parks listed may be closed at various times due to changes in beach conditions, maintenance or protection of natural resources.
- Permits available for purchase at Smith Point County Park and West Sayville Administration. See fees schedule for pricing.