Montauk Highway, Montauk
Camping: (631) 852-7879
Montauk County Park offers outer beach access and outer beach camping, seasonal hunting, salt and freshwater fishing, hiking, horseback riding trails and canoeing. On the County Park property the Deep Hollow Ranch has available popular horseback rides to the beach for park visitors. Also in the park is the historic Third House utilized by Theodore Roosevelt and the Rough Riders. There is camping for self-contained trailers and campgrounds for youth scout groups. The park is dog friendly as long as dogs are kept leashed.
Montauk County Park was created from a series of land acquisitions by Suffolk County beginning in 1971. The parks boundaries extend all the way to the north shore from Oyster Pond, around Shagwong Point to Gin Beach by the entrance to Montauk Harbor Inlet. The park includes:
- Big Reed Pond – a National Natural Landmark.
- Montaukett Village – a home and burial ground of the Montaukett tribe of Native Americans, which includes the grave of member Stephen Talkhouse
- Deep Hollow Ranch – the first and oldest cattle ranch in the United States, established in 1658
- Third House – the third residence constructed in the 18th century for cattle keepers, who brought cattle to graze in Montauk each summer. The house is open seasonally.
- Camp Wikoff – this is the area where Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders came to recuperate after the battle of San Juan Hill during the Spanish–American War in 1898
- Shagwong Point is a favorite among surfcasters, who routinely patrol the shoreline between the inlet and the Point looking for Striped Bass and Bluefish. RV camping is permitted here. This is also the entrance for Outer Beach for Off Roading by permit only.
The Third House Nature Center is located at Third House. Staff of the Nature Center coordinates nature programs, hikes and activities for people of all ages. For information about their organization or their events, please visit their website at https://www.thirdhousenaturecenter.org/
Click Here to View the Campground Information Packet
East on Montauk State Parkway
2nd Left after East Lake Drive Split
You will see sign for Montauk County Park
Montauk County Park
Head east on Montauk Point State Pkwy toward Twin Pond Ln
Continue onto NY-27 E/State Rte 27 E/POW/MIA Memorial Highway E for 3 miles
Slight left onto E Lake Dr for 2.7 miles
Entrance is on the left
Sign says Montauk County Park Outer Beach Entrance
IMPORTANT: No Kite Flying on Montauk Outer Beach due to the proximity to Montauk Airport.