The Transit-Oriented and Downtown Development Division’s goals within the Department of Economic Development and Planning are to:
- Implement the Connect Long Island Regional Transportation and Development Plan.
- Foster thriving and attractive communities that offer a diversified range of housing choices to empower all current and future residents with the ability to remain in Suffolk County.
- Promote alternative transit options, pedestrian and bicyclist infrastructure to reduce dependence on single-occupancy vehicles.
- Collaborate with the public on regional economic development projects and solicit input and feedback.
- Help downtowns and individual projects realize their placemaking potential by providing cultural/art grants and technical assistance through our Office of Cultural Affairs.
- Help towns, villages and community organizations expand their efforts to enhance their downtowns, attract visitors and shoppers into the area and stimulate economic activity through our Downtown Revitalization Grant Program.